Monday, August 27, 2012

Coins make Noise

The loud, boisterous pastor was known to exclaim as the offering plate was passed around, "I don't like the sound of coins hitting the plate. Paper money doesn't make that kind of noise, and that's what I like to hear... the sound of paper!" His congregation was not known for their large incomes or excess wealth. Coins might have been the best that some could muster.

The pastor's attitude was the direct opposite of Jesus on the day he defended the impoverished widow who was only able to place two measly mites into the temple treasury. Jesus is not impressed by the amount of money that we might give, but by the heart by which it is given. He knows our hearts. He is aware whether we're giving the most we are able to under our circumstances and He also knows whether we're only robbing from God by Scrooginizing against Him.

Yes, I can personally give more than the widow did simply because I am able to, but in no way am I going to be commended for what I do give in the same way that she was. Also, I don't know much about that pastor, but his attitude toward the offering instantly throws-up a red flag in front of my eyes which makes me question the rest of his teachings.

No comments:

Post a Comment