Friday, October 28, 2011

Banned!

Banned? What the heck?!
LOL
I just received a notice that I have been "banned" from a Flickr Art Group that I had belonged to for some time. It's always a shock to receive a 'ban' when one is not doing anything wrong, so I went to the group (your master paintings) to see what it's all about.

I carefully read the group's description and located what I believe is the clause which caused this ban. It does contain a guideline which reads "No digitally created or altered images". It's a well-known fact that I'm a firm believer in using technology as an artistic tool... I've even written online essays about the merits of artists using what is available. I carry it to the point that I maintain that today's 'technology artists' are the equivalent of the 'old masters' from long ago. It is not the artists who seem to be stuck in the 15th century (material wise), but those who are acclimating to the latest tools of the trade, that are advancing modern era art.

I had my early training in traditional art mediums and advanced in their usage just like any artist who practices his trade on a daily basis. But it has been the past couple of decades that I have moved forward and kept up with the times... learning and excelling at the digital tools offered to artists everywhere.

Yep, I was banned... and rightfully so! My art definitely doesn't meet that one criteria. But, (now I'm being facetious) the group also doesn't seem to have a criteria for the quality of the art they accept. For a group calling itself "Master paintings", they don't seem to have being a master of the craft as one of their criteria! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment