Saturday, February 25, 2012

Egypt

I was admiring the spelling of the word 'Egypt', sort of in awe at a word that begins with one vowel followed by four harmonious consonants! I have been there on two occasions but never gave any thought regarding the way the name is spelled.
A Google search revealed that historical Egyptian spellings are full of consonants... even containing words that harbor no vowels at all. This is quite different than our English words which heavily rely on vowels.

But before I jump to too many conclusions, just look at another famous Egyptian name: Cairo. In that case you've got a five letter word which contains three vowels, including an A and I together to create a long 'I' sound (unless we're referring to the town in Illinois).

--- I've blabbered on long enough, but I hope this comes in handy to anyone who feels stuck next time you're playing a spelling game!

No comments:

Post a Comment