Thursday, June 30, 2011

Today's topic: dumbness

It doesn't amaze me half as much to see dumb people do stupid things as it does when smart people do even dumber things.
When I was young and did really dumb things, my granddad would shake his head and scoff, "Son, I wouldn't claim to be so dumb!"

Good thing he's not living now when dumbness garners news and is often believed to be the intelligent thing to do.

When someone else does it... it's dumb. When we do it... we've erred.
One person can vote a certain way and proclaim, "I vote intelligently".
Another person votes the exact opposite and proclaims, "I vote intelligently".
A third person sells his vote and has money in his pocket. He too feels he voted intelligently.
The child watched 'Forrest Gump' and when the movie ended, proudly proclaimed to his mother, "When I grow up I want to be just like him!" Later that day the child watched 'Dumb and Dumber'. When it was over he fretted, "Now I have a problem. I don't know which one I want to be."
A man sat at a bar, drowning his sorrows in drink. He looked at a man performing a menial job and thought "I'm glad I'm not dumb like him."
The man he was referring to contentedly thought to himself "I'm so glad I don't have the sorrows of that drunk. I'm living a good life and have much to be thankful for."
Definition: Spending too much time on the computer posting 'dumb' comments on Facebook. (Could be jogging; drinking a V8; and helping a little old lady cross the street.)
Do people get smarter as we age?

No, we just think we're smarter.
Defending, denying, and promoting one of the causes which propagate the crime.
(This one is actually happening locally on a fairly big scale this week)
 ______________________

No comments:

Post a Comment