Friday, October 19, 2012

Microsoft, Pay Attention

NOTE: I wrote the following for a computer forum dealing with the latest Windows 8 release...

What most people seem to be missing, or have missed, is that a certain aspect of PC computers have always been irrelevant! From day one, the basic computer has been capable of delivering power and features suited to a place of business. For decades even the low-end home computers have not been totally relevant to many, many (can I add another many) home users who have had no need whatsoever of the full capabilities of the device they have purchased.

For twenty-five years I have cringed at computer-store salespeople who have no clue what their buyers actually need, and instead sell them on power and features which they personally find attractive. How many times has my aged mother brought home the latest computer which the salesperson convinced her was what she needed, only to find it frustrating to use and eventually giving it to one of the grandchildren who could use the dang thing!

There are multitudes of people who really don't have the same personal needs as what a company or business has with a computer.

Now here's the clencher... and this is one which I have not seen mentioned very much... the cost of the apps!!! I paid several hundred dollars for Photoshop which I use on both a Mac and on a PC, it's a great app. I paid almost three hundred dollars for the music app which I compose my compositions on. But for the past year and a half I use my iPad for doing the majority of what I used those two apps for. Besides the purchase of my PCs/Macs, I have literally spent thousands of dollars on software over the years. I spent $4.99 for the incredible little iPad image app, and $1.99 for the music scoring app used on my iPad. Can you fully comprehend this difference? Perhaps $7 compared to $700 is not that important to businesses, it is quite important to the casual at-home user. (Microsoft... pay very close attention to what I'm saying here, it could make or break your latest toy.)

Yep, if PC people cannot grasp that their needs, and their financial means are not the same as everyone else's then yes, those folks are indeed out of touch.

We will see if Microsoft is in-touch with the average person. We will see if a whole new Windows 8 app store opens which offers some incredible little $2 and $4 apps which are designed specifically for their device.

No comments:

Post a Comment