Monday, July 11, 2011

Fad Facts, Ideas, and Opinions

Sometimes I hear something espoused as fact which is so foreign and outrageous to my ears that I instantly stop in my tracks and exclaim to self: "What!!?? Am I actually hearing this right?" And then I receive a second shock when it is revealed the person is not alone in their opinion... it is embraced by enough others to make me question "what is going on here?" This 'new fact' so strongly flies in the face of what I have accepted, or definitely know to be true, that I have to analyze what is causing such a shift in acceptable knowledge or opinions.

Because of my westernized hippie-era upbringing of allowing all (actually most) thoughts their light of day, I scrutinize, ponder, and research this new shocking and newly accepted concept to see if it might be more correct than what I believe. I look for holes and if they are there to be uncovered, then I discard this as just one of the many fads which come and (hopefully) go. I then try to analyze and compartmentalize this 'new knowledge' and put it into an area of being harmful or beneficial. Normally it can be seen as being potentially beneficial to some and harmful to others. Then it must be asked "who is going to benefit the most from this" and "who will reap the most profit."

Again, this is why one must be grounded in their facts; beliefs; history; fictitious ideas; knowledge of natural human errors; current social conditions; research; spiritual insight; and the revealing word of God. We are told to be like the 'Bereans' and pick apart any new knowledge or revelations which creep into our world. This is all part of the process of being wise and discerning.
____________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment