Saturday, May 7, 2011

Why do we think we are good?

God consistantly revealed His goodness and righteousness through His patience, mercy and deeds. The picture of man stayed consistant throughout history as rebellious and unlawful to God. Both the biblical and the secular views of history indicate that man is born into sin and will continually rebel against the righteous nature of God. Working with both children and with adults I've also seen this to be true as well.

While substitute teaching for the second grade, I had one overly helpful girl who felt it was her job to keep me informed on the correct procedures of operation when the regular teacher is there. First thing she did was let me know who the classroom troublemakers were and who I should keep an eye on. The other kids then informed me that it was she who is the priviledged "teacher's pet." Throughout the day she was consistantly out of her chair informing on every student doing something wrong or improper. Finally she approached me with, "Mr. White, Jason's out of his seat. The teacher doesn't let anyone out of their seats without permission. You have to give him a 'mark-out'." I looked at the girl 'standing' at my desk and proceeded to give her and Jason a mark-out for being out of their seats. She went back to her seat in tears.

It hurts when your sins are exposed... especially when you aren't even aware that you have any sins. The punishment of being marked-out didn't hurt the one accustomed to being a 'sinner' near as much as the one who felt a privileged position with the person in charge. Our actions should be to do what is pleasing to God... in authenticity and not in hypocrisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment